HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT
At Dutch Foundations we are dedicated to providing a safe and healthy environment for employees and customers, protecting the public, and preserving assets and property. Our commitment to safety permeates the company top to bottom. We truly believe that:
- No job or task is more important than employee health and safety
- If a job cannot be done safely it shall not be done
- Our future is only built through our people
- We aim to protect them
An effective HSE Program is carried out throughout our organization, which in turn assists management and non-supervisory employees in controlling hazards and risks. This minimizes if not eliminates employee and customer injuries and the damage or destruction of property.
This program is designed to encourage all employees to promote the safety of their fellow employees and of customers. To accomplish our safety and health goals, all company employees, and those of our subcontractors, are responsible and accountable for implementing company HSE policy and ensuring that it is followed.
Our ultimate goal is to maintain a ‘zero’ safety record: Zero incidents, accidents, near misses and mishaps of any types. Along with careful job planning, increasing safety awareness, continuous system improvement and a fully supportive management we aim to achieve the zero record by:
- Complying with all applicable local, international HSE regulations and those established by the client
- Adopting procedures that conform to ISO 14001:2015 and OHSAS 18001:2007 standards
- Using qualified safety personnel
- Making regular job site inspections
- Enforcing the use of safety equipment
- Following HSE procedures and rules
- Providing on-going safety training
- Enforcing HSE rules and using appropriate discipline
PROJECT HSE PROCEDURE
All piling works have inherent Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) hazards. The size of the equipment used and the nature of the work itself impose very high risk activities that could result in severe consequences. Hence it is imperative that all efforts be focused on workplace safety, proper HSE plan be implemented and appropriate safe work procedures followed.
The company’s approach will mainly be based on the identification and control of risks and the elimination of potential hazards in a planned and controlled manner.
The on-site implementation of HSE policies and procedures will be monitored and reviewed on a regular planned basis to ensure the company’s aims and objectives are being carried out. The following general procedure is implemented on projects:
- Perform a comprehensive HSE Hazard Identification / Risk Assessment and establish relative control measures. Include all findings in tabular format in the relevant Method Statement. Re-evaluate these risks during each stage of the project and re-instate control measures.
- Prepare a project specific Method Statement which covers in detail how to properly and safely perform each task and activity.
- Prepare a project specific Health, Safety and Environment Plan.
- Brief all construction personnel on the project HSE Plan and Method Statement(s) and raise their awareness of the presence of high risk hazards. Encourage all to report any unsafe practices, unnoticed or unidentified hazards or any prospective vulnerability.
- Encourage teamwork and experienced employees to mentor new hires.
- Encourage and strengthen a safety oriented culture.
- Conduct appropriate induction training for all involved personnel and appoint safety and security officers to the project site.
- Emphasize the importance of using appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Ensure that site safety precautions are taken and hazard control measures implemented prior to commencement of activities in accordance with company procedures.
- Ensure that all machine operators are licensed, well trained and implement the relevant manufacturer’s requirements for safe operation and recommended maintenance practices.
- Verify that appropriate fencing, hoarding and signage are installed as required.
- Ensure that all pertinent HSE statutory regulations, bylaws and Dutch Foundations safety procedures and plans are followed.
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT